Monday, April 22, 2013

T minus 36 hours

I apologize for any typos or weirdness to this post as I am typing it from my iPad since the bf is using my laptop for real work. We leave for Maui in approximately 36 hours and I am so excited!!! Today I bought a cocktail dress for the awards dinner that we'll be attending. There weren't really specific details on the type of cocktail dress, and upon going through my wardrobe, I realized that the thigh-length dresses from my sorority formal size 00 days were no longer realistic options. Another milestone in growing up. Since I of course realized this two days before the trip, that meant a slightly stressful time-crunched trip to Nordstrom. As I began pondering a Diane Von Furstenberg dress, Paul  brought up the suggestion of giving myself a budget. Such a smart man he is. I hate that word- budget- it's so depressing. And elusive. I had a rough idea of what I was looking for- nothing too bright (even though it was Maui, I don't want to look like a peacock or anything), nothing that belongs in a strip club, yet nothing too formal or "work attire". Possibly lace, and absolutely nothing super snug or tight. I brought about 15 dresses to the fitting room with the help of a very friendly salesgirl. Friendly, but terrible taste , or maybe just poor at reading mine, as one of the dresses she picked for me looked like the Easter bunny humping a lamp shade ( I kid you not).  The other two she chose were in the color I hate most - orange. Worse still, one was orange with lighter orange polka dots, and the other was orange with what looked like a Hawaaim sunset printed on it.

After about a half hour of suffocating myself in lace, tulle,  and satin while simultaneously destroying my self esteem, I had finally narrowed it down to two. One, a gorgeous Rachel Roy sleeveless red dress that drapes to mid calf with an uneven hem.. The other was a lovely teal Trina Turk stretch sheath with a slight V in the back. After much deliberation, I chose the red. I'm a sucker for a red dress, especially one that can pull off being so classy and elegant in such a bold color. The teal was great too, but seemed better suited for a day time event. Ill post pictures when we return! Next, of course, came time to actually check the price tag since I had ignored those pesky little things while hunting for a dress. It was approximately double the budget I had set for myself, but worth it, I justified, considering all the weddings we'll be attending the next few years, and hopefully classy political functions as well. I also figured it was pretty much next to impossible to find a red dress of this level of class. So worth the price. And I'll keep telling myself that the next 6 months while my credit cards sits in a block of ice in the freezer. Such is life.  I do have to say though, that my justification skills surprise even myself sometimes. I can pretty much find reasoning in any thing imaginable that I want, and make it sound like an amazing idea that no one can resist. I don't know if that's good or bad.  The devil in the red dress on my shoulder seems to give in every time.

Well that's all for now, I am going to quit while I'm ahead before i accidentally delete this whole thing while typing away on my iPad.  I will post once we return, as you can imagine that tomorrow evening will be filled with endless hours of packing, ensuing panic attacks, and repacking (squeezing a mani in there too). Next time I talk to you all, I plan to be gorgeously tanned and relaxed! Aloha!

No comments:

Post a Comment