Friday, March 14, 2014

I'm baaaaack

Hello everyone! I'm back!!  It's been a few months, and life has been crazy.  I've decided to bring this blog back to life, so hopefully that means you'll be seeing many more posts from me. 

Now, where to begin with my updates?  I suppose that the most important thing to start with is that this blog is no longer DC-based.  That's right, I am no longer writing to you from our nation's capital.  Instead, I've moved north to Boston (or rather, Bahhhstaaan as they seem to say here).  It all happened crazy fast too.  

Here's how it happened:

Back track to a mere 6 weeks ago, when shortly after the holidays, Paul attended his usual quarterly training in Dallas.  Now, we knew that promotions were often made at this training of the year, and we knew the chance of Paul getting promoted was high.  December and January were definitely a "limbo" time period for us where we held off planning ski trips with friends and things of that nature in case of any move.  We knew the rumors of the cities that would be available, and out of the options, Boston seemed the most likely, as well as the one we'd like the most - but nothing was guaranteed.  We held our breath for what seemed like months, as his co-workers, supervisors, and our family and friends all asked us if we were moving, how we felt about it, and so on.  Paul and I tried not to talk about it because we didn't want to jinx anything, and we had no idea what would happen!  Moving forward to the last week in January - Paul's mom and brother visited us for MLK Jr. weekend, and then Paul left for training on Wednesday (which gave us little time to discuss anything that might happen over the next few days!).  Paul interviewed on Thursday AM and at 4pm on Thursday, he called me while I was at work.  I stepped into the hallway and listened to him say, "We are moving to Boston!".  The very next day I put my two weeks notice in at work - so crazy!! Paul came home that Friday night, and then flew to Boston that Sunday! 

In between then and now, there has been all sorts of craziness from apartment hunting, to my celebrating my birthday (eek hello 24!) to moves being delayed by snowstorms. We thought that apartment hunting in Boston would be much easier than in DC, and we stood corrected.  Searching in January meant a terrible selection, and our desire to live in the heart of Boston meant sky high prices and not very much space.  Throw in being a pet owner (yes, we got a dog! more on that later..) and we were basically screwed. After spending Saturday look at some awful places that would never work for us (no parking, no washer or dryer, 5 floor walkups), we ended up deciding to take over the loft- style apartment from the girl who's position Paul was taking over.  Even that wasn't a guarantee as the owner of the condo was thinking about selling.  

To make a long story short, we ended up getting the loft (with an increased rent of course).  Next came the process of the movers.  Because of a big snowstorm on the East Coast, our move was delayed and we couldn't get into our new apartment until March 1 - two weeks from when  we already had our movers scheduled.  We decided to go ahead and have the movers come as planned and keep our things in storage while we stayed in a hotel.  Looking back, that might not have been our best plan.  It was very difficult to find a pet-friendly, extended stay hotel to stay in for two weeks!  I went a little stir crazy and ended up on an impromptu trip home to MI to clear my head and spend time with family and friends. To add to the stress, our building does not let people move in on Saturdays, so our move was delayed another two days!

Now, flash forward to today and we are living in our new apartment and loving it!  We still have boxes and things everywhere, but we're hoping to get those all unpacked this weekend.  We love our new neighborhood, and I even have a part-time, temporary job.  I'll share more on those things later - I am pretty sure I am getting carpal tunnel from all this typing.

Happy Friday everyone!!


No comments:

Post a Comment