Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Tuesday Bluesday

My week started out very well, until I was on my way to work Monday and got a speeding ticket for going 30 mph through the toll booth, which unbeknownst to me, has a speed limit of 15.  I don't think I helped matters when the officer asked how fast I was going and I said probably 40 - I didn't know the toll booth had a speed limit!  What is the point of having an EZ Pass if you have to slow down that much?  I also did not have my registration with me, which did not help matters. Then, on my way home from work, I was going through the toll booth and the worker ran out screaming at me. I didn't know what to do so I panicked and drove away.  Apparently, MA is not as tech-savvy as VA, and so not all of the booths have the EZ Pass sensors.  The one I went through that said "Cash Only" was in fact, cash only. Ooops. So we will see if I get a ticket in the mail for that one. FML.

In other news, here are some articles and links that have kept me entertained over the last few days.

Real Housewives of any city is my guiltiest pleasure, and I spent a good hour yesterday cracking up at this.  Although I probably shouldn't admit that.

This one will be relevant if the weather ever gets nicer. Although we do have a grill in our chef grade kitchen.
We looked at some of the apartments mentioned in this article.  It's crazy how real estate markets differ in every city and what exactly affects them. When we were apartment hunting here, it was fascinating to see the incentives that each building offered to stand out from the rest - in DC the apartments were much more standard and cookie cutter.  They featured amenities like a pool, gym, movie theatre, etc.  In Boston, we looked at one complex that had a gift-wrapping station on the main floor, another that had an entire bike storage, cleaning and maintenance area for your bike (totally wasted on me), ones that had entire art galleries in them, and another that offered to build an entire California closet for me, and lastly one that had a guest apartment in the complex that could be rented out for guests.

I thought this was an interesting article on women working in the Obama administration, particularly the public's opinion on his lack of women in the administration.  I thought that Ruemmler, Monaco and Rice made some interesting points on the gender dynamics of the West Wing, particularly Ruemmler's opinion that men get out front and in the spotlight more.  I definitely agree that a large part of the gender issue is that women do not take as strong of a stance or ask for what they want the way that men tend to do.  I read Lean In last year, which also did a good job discussing that perception.

Lastly, this quiz, since I am now an official New England resident.

"I have a deeply hidden and inarticulate desire for something beyond daily life." - - Virginia Woolf

Love this quote.


No comments:

Post a Comment